Innerpage Hero image
Advanced general and cosmetic dentistry
delivered with complete comfort.
Request an Appointment

How Can I Save My Loose Tooth?

Posted by AllSmiles

Can an emergency dentist save my loose tooth, or do I need an oral surgeon? I tripped over a cement parking space block and fell face forward. That was two weeks ago, and now I’m starting to feel my left front tooth is loose. I chipped two other teeth, but they did not hurt. I was flossing two nights ago and thought the tooth was loose, but now, I am sure. My regular dentist is almost 45 minutes away, but I haven’t seen him in two years because of ongoing problems with a crown that he couldn’t resolve. Should I see an emergency dentist for this, or can I schedule my regular dentist to be referred to an oral surgeon? I hope I don’t need another crown because the one I got two years ago still gets sensitive sometimes when I chew on the left side of my mouth. Thank you. Evan

Man holding the side of his faceEvan,

If your tooth is loose, you have a dental emergency. It is best to see your dentist, but if the distance is a problem, find a nearby experienced dentist who takes emergency cases.

How Can You Save a Loose Tooth?

Before treating a loose tooth, your dentist will examine it and take an X-ray. A dentist can stabilize the tooth by splinting or bonding it to adjacent teeth. Splinting or bonding will help tooth ligaments heal on their own. A dentist will also check your tooth for internal damage. If the tooth pulp is affected, after the ligaments heal, you will need root canal treatment to remove the dying tooth pulp. Root canal treatment will prevent infection and further problems with the tooth. The dentist will protect your tooth with a dental crown.

Until you see your dentist, take these precautions:

  • Avoid chewing on the damaged tooth
  • Do not touch it or wiggle it
  • Do not floss between it
  • Eat soft food
  • Take anti-inflammatory medication to reduce swelling and promote healing

Healing will take a few weeks if your tooth ligaments are mildly damaged. More extensive damage can take months. You will have periodic checkups to ensure the healing is progressing well. Closely follow your dentist’s instructions for caring for your tooth after the dentist stabilizes it.

If your current dentist placed your crown last year, and you still have discomfort, consider consulting with a dentist with advanced occlusion and bite training. Preparing your tooth precisely and ensuring the crown fits well prevents sensitivity, discomfort, and potential TMJ symptoms. You can also ask the dentist to check your existing crown to determine why it is causing sensitivity.


Rocky Hill, Connecticut, cosmetic dentist Dr. Thaddeus Michalski sponsors this post. Read how he strives to provide patients with some of the best dental care in Rocky Hill.